Saturday, March 10, 2007

Landscaping, the Great Unknown

Sitting on the couch, listening to Hall & Oates, looking out onto my front yard. It's beautiful and sunny outside. Must be 85 degrees or something.

We've done a lot of work on the house in the 10 months we've lived here. The floors, the paint, the A/C. The next big thing to tackle is the yard. I'm almost too afraid to think about it.

The backyard needs a complete overhaul. It's huge and flat, which is good, but it needs some real landscaping, maybe even professional landscaping. Planting a few trees here and there won't do; we need to redesign the whole thing.

The front yard is more managable and I'm thinking of taking a crack at it myself. Maybe some camellias and peach blossoms. Nothing requiring much water or maintenance. There's an Armstrong nursery in Glendale. I should just go there. I need to stop thinking about mulching and pruning and other things I don't understand, and just buy a plant, stick it in the ground and hope for the best. It's springtime. Time for new things.

3 comments:

JEM said...

Totally agree re the plants. Although I don't have a yard, houseplants have become my new obession. I now have 2 african violets, a nuns orchid, a regular orchid (you know, the ones you see in fancy hotels), one alocasia polly, one ivy plant, and one tree/bush plant that has the leaves that look like a money tree but it's not a money tree. Oh, and a christmas cactus in my office.

You'd be glad to know that all above are well, alive and blooming (the ones that do).

Adrienne said...

Thank you! For going to Armstrong and not some god awful humungoid place like Home Depot. When they put that H D down the street from Armstrong it was touch and go for a while.

Wave hi as you drive by.

chanchow said...

JEM: Excellent news on the house plants! I have managed to keep my house plants alive, too-- a big improvement considering I used to kill everything.

Adrienne: Armstrong is great! I'm glad I have one so close by.