Tuesday, February 12, 2008

New Year, New Fortune

It was Lunar New Year last week. We went to visit my parents and hung out with extended family. It was pretty low key. 2008 is the year of the rat. My mom went to the Buddhist temple and got her stick fortune (I've never done this, so I can't be more descriptive) and it said that 2008 would be a good year for my family.

I can't decide if I'm a believer in this fortune stuff. I'm not a wholesale believer, that's for sure, but I don't not believe. As I've posted before, my dad went to a Chinese fortune teller decades ago and everything that guy said has come true. Makes me wonder.

I've never gone to a fortune teller myself, but my dad went to one (an old friend of his) on my behalf a few weeks ago. According to this guy, I might develop heart problems and probably won't live past 70. When I heard this, I felt like I had been hit by a truck. Even when you don't totally believe, you still want it to all be good.

2 comments:

Ivanomartin said...

heard a funny joke on NPR this weekend.....something like, "can't believe it's the year of the rat already....and I'm still writing rooster on all my checks."

dn

Anonymous said...

We had a great dinner with a couple of friends for Lunar New Year. Hope you enjoyed it and GOOD LUCK AND HEALTH to you regardless of what your dad's fortune teller said!

David's comment is funny, I will have to tell the Citizen.

Junebee