Monday, August 7, 2006

Appliance Hunting at Sears

One of the cooler things about moving into a house is shopping for a new washer and dryer. We went to Sears the week we moved in and were blown away (overwhelmed, frankly) by the variety of washers and dryers out there. Not your parents' machines, that's for sure. The most energy efficient washers these days are the front loading type, which was my first pick. They reminded me of the days when I would lug my clothes in a mesh bag, hike to the not-so-near laundromat and stare hypnotically at my clothes swirl around and around. The front loaders, however, were too big for our laundry room, so we ended up with an energy efficient top loader (below). The doors are transparent (but tinted) so I can still watch the clothes wash. Since laundry is possibly my favorite chore, these machines are a real treat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new fancy washer and dryer. Laundry is my favorite chore too-- I am very excited about having a front-loading washer and dryer in my new place.

NR

junebee said...

Our house was stocked with Sears Kenmore appliances when it was built. Sadly I don't find they have the reputation they once did. The dishwasher broke after about 2 years and we didn't even use it very much, but we did use it enough that it didn't break from disuse. I also got a Sears vaccuum cleaner which I never did like. It broke so I got one at Wal-Mart.

I guess laundry is one of the least of the chores since the machine does all the work except fold the clothes.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE major appliances! I'm afraid I've managed to morph into a 1950's housewife, as I get unduly enthusiastic about things like fancy washer/dryers (I love that LG one with the super-hot sterilization cycle), shiny new fridges (top load, bottom drawer, side by side, stainless steel? The possibilities are ENDLESS!), ranges, custom kitchen shelving/lazy-susan units and the like. I think it's because I've been trapped in apartments for so long and have never had the opportunity to shop for whatever I want for my own house. Of course, we're still LOOKING for a house, but the more time goes by, the more my longing for domestic appliances to fill such house intensifies. In the meantime I have to satisfy myself with more portable household goods, such as Spacebags (awesome), vacuum cleaners and Swiffer Dusters (also awesome). Sad.

-LC