Monday, August 21, 2006

Where's the Beef?

Lately I've been thinking about becoming a vegetarian. I've never considered it seriously before because I used to really like meat and really hate tofu. These days I eat less meat and I've been trying to be healthier in general (case in point: I've taken up running). I think it's partially a reaction to my dad having bypass surgery earlier this year. Plus, I'm really not that young anymore, my metabolism is slowing and I just can't take my health for granted and rely on my genes.

I feel like being a vegetarian is a real commitment. You either are or aren't. I don't want to be one of those people who call themselves vegetarians but eat fish or chicken. It's an all or nothing proposition. If I were to make the switch, then I would be doing it for health reasons. There are so many toxic things out there-- pollution, stress, pesticides-- the one thing that I can sort of control is my diet.

Perhaps I should continue to cut back on meat for the time being. Maybe a little fish here and there and, of course, the occasional hamburger and Korean BBQ. One thing is for sure: I could never be a vegan. Life without cheese would be too sad.

4 comments:

junebee said...

I know, life without cheese? Impossible!

Anonymous said...

Chan!! First jogging and now this!?! Your inner Californian is coming out - go get a Coke and a slice of pepperoni and chase it with a Marlboro light!! ; )

chanchow said...

How about a compromise-- wine, cheese and a Camel Light. ;)

Creative-Type Dad said...

I was a veg for 13 years. It sucked. I eat meat now, but just not as often, and only "Whole Foods" hormone-free meats, not Mickey D's or Jack in the Crack.

But I do love In'N'Out...