Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Feeling Like the D Student

I've been taking Spanish class for the last few months. It's once a week at a pretty good adult language center on the westside. Classes are small and we use a college textbook. It's a funny feeling being a student again. I almost forgot what it was like.

I've now gone to about 16 classes (roughly the equivalent of a month's worth of college instruction) and it's becoming apparent that I'm probably the worst student in the class. There are many reasons for this. First, I don't study much. That means that I have a hard time retaining vocabulary and learning to conjugate verbs. Also, it seems everyone in my class has had previous Spanish instruction or is a native Italian or French speaker. I'm none of the above, so I find myself flatfooted whenever I get called on (and my teacher does call on people). It doesn't help that she also talks way too fast (and I'm not the only one who thinks that).

While I don't like being in last place, I sorta like the exhilaration I get from flailing around and having no clue. Every moment is an adventure because I don't know what's happening. It's a good counterbalance to my usual organized and prepared self.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Come to Florida. You'll be speaking Spanish in no time.

Junebee