Thursday, January 31, 2008

On the Upcoming Super-Uber-Tsunami-Whatever-You-Want-to-Call-It Tuesday

Regular chanchows know that I support Obama. Personal friends know that I don't talk about much about politics, but have my opinions. As Tuesday approaches, I have a few things I'd like to say:

1. Finally, some ads! As a California resident, it's nice to actually see some political ads on TV. Not that the candidates need to spend money vying for my opinion, but it's nice to see that the election has come to California. Because California should really matter. In my opinion, we are the future, but that's a whole different post.

2. Think about who you like. Yes, like. Whether it's Obama or Clinton or McCain or Romney or Huckabee or Paul. Stop trying to predict who's electable. Stop trying to read other voters' minds. You can't know how the faceless masses will vote. So just go with who you like. Who you can get excited for. For me, that's Obama.

3. Who can work with the other side? Each Democratic (and Republican) candidate is saying all sorts of stuff these days. But who can work with the other side to pass these policies? It's not just about what they're saying now, it's about who they can work with across the aisle to get some of that done.

4. How much does experience matter? And how do you define "experience"? I question Hillary's "35 years of experience." She's 60 years old, so essentially she's starting her clock with her graduation from law school. A good chunk of that 35 years is her "experience" as First Lady of Arkansas and of the U.S. But I'm not sure what she did as First Lady. What is she accountable for? I don't think we'll ever know, so I don't think much of that time should count. If you want to look at years as a public servant, Hillary has been an elected official since 2000. Obama has been an elected official since 1996.

5. Who is running a campaign that you think is respectable? To me, it's not only about if you get the nomination, it's how you get it. I feel like the Clintons are running as if they are entitled to this nomination. They are trying to fan the flames between Latinos and Blacks. I don't like it. I don't think that's the right way. For the party or for the future.

So for all these reasons (and more) the Chanchow says "Go Obama!"

1 comment:

Octopus Grigori said...

All excellent points.

Obama '08!