Wednesday, December 21, 2005

It's Christmastime... and There's No Need to Be Afraid

I don't really celebrate Christmas, but I do love Christmas songs. My all-time favorite is 1984's "Do They Know It's Christmas" from Band-Aid. I remember taping it off the radio. I tried over and over, waited hours and hours, until I was able to record it right from the beginning. It was a matter of timing. Pressing Play/Record/Pause in advance, then releasing Pause at the precise moment when I heard the drums.

Bob Geldof remade the song last year with a different crew of pop stars (mostly). I haven't heard the new version, but I figure I couldn't like it better than the original. Paul Young to Boy George to George Michael to Simon LeBon-- what could be better?

Happy Holidays Everyone!!!

6 comments:

Octopus Grigori said...

Oh, come on you Grinch. You love Christmas too!

chanchow said...

Just because I don't celebrate it doesn't mean I don't like it. I'm no grinch!

Octopus Grigori said...

Okay, the Christmas Spirit moves me to retract that statement. Happy Merry!

ivanomartin said...

Somewhere in my parents' house is a VHS copy of the making of that record. I remember watching it when I was ten years old and (a) being really creeped out by Paul Young and (b) even at that young age recognizing that Bananarama showed up to the recording studio stoned.

See y'all in NY.

chanchow said...

Funny you should mention Bananarama. I was not so attuned to have noticed that they were stoned. I just remember them in the chorus, swaying with everyone else... I found this pretty amusing...

Looking forward to seeing you guys.

Octopus Grigori said...

More posts, please! I need my ChanChow fix! This is your fault -- you've made us into addicts!