Friday, March 31, 2006

Happy Friday

I've been having a really hard time getting anything done at work. I've been like this for days. Today I've imposed a deadline on myself in order to stimulate productivity. It isn't working very well. I'm having one of those days where it's as if I don't read English. I look at the same page for five minutes, my eyes scanning the lines, but I don't understand anything. I think part of it is because I'm reading "Resales of Restricted Securities."

I took an extended lunch yesterday "off campus" (i.e., I drove to get there) to the Pho Cafe. Recall that last time I was there I overheard a couple Democrats discussing why they didn't like Hillary. This time the table next to me had three people-- a Tibetan Buddhist monk and the two people taking him out to lunch. The monk was saying how he does 500 prostrations every morning. The monk didn't speak English well, so the Americans spoke slowly, loudly and used small words. But the funny part was when it came time to pay the bill. The Americans laid down their credit card only to be told that Pho Cafe only takes cash. They looked into their wallets, then at each other, and then asked the monk for some money. HA HA. I couldn't help but laugh inside. The monk didn't mind at all, of course.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like that every time I have to work with particular individuals... I can read it ten times, I will still retain zero.

On another note, I finally went to check out the Trader Joe's on 14th on Saturday. There was a line to *get in* going halfway down the block. I gave up and went home. The wine store is not open yet.

MK

junebee said...

Isn't it funny the way people speak really loud if they speak to a non-English-speaking person.

chanchow said...

it's funny to hear people speak really loudly, but also to see them try to explain big vocabulary words. for example, the Americans were trying to ask the monk about what he knew of his past life (no joke). the monk didn't understand the word reincarnation, so the Americans said stuff like: "do you remember anything from the life you had before this one?"