Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Need Pants

I'm starting to worry that people at my work are realizing that I only wear three different pairs of pants and five shirts. It wasn't always like this. Not so long ago, I had maybe seven decent pairs of pants and lots of shirts.

The pants are easy to explain. After a few winters in NYC, some of my pants developed salt rings around the hems. Disgusting, I know. I haven't thrown them out yet, but at least I've stopped wearing them. After all, somebody would notice, right? Even if nobody does, I know they're there and that's bad enough. As for the shirts, half of them are a little too wacky for me now. Maybe I'm in a temporary non-wacky phase, but I can't bring myself to wear shirts with a Q-bert design on them.

Long story short-- I need to go shopping. But the idea of looking for work clothes makes me want to go home and take a nap. What could be more boring than going to the suit section of J. Crew or Banana Republic? Oh wait, I can't go there because they don't carry petites in the store. I hate trying on pants because it makes me feel short and lumpy. So I guess it's internet shopping for me. At least it'll spare me the fitting room.

8 comments:

junebee said...

The Citizen wears the same pair of pants all week. I bought him two different pairs for Christmas (one khaki, one navy) but he only wears the khaki ones). I have to tell him when the bottoms are too frayed to wear.

I used to be on a really limited income and I had five outfits suitable for work. Then there was casual Friday too. But I used to think that it was likely people figured out I didn't have very many clothes.

If you have a TJ Maxx or Marshalls in your area, they have men's clothes too and they're less expensive than department stores.

Anonymous said...

And all along I thought it was just me. Phew! Well Chanchow, this girl is just givin' in for now...by that I mean, I'm not going through that awful dressing room ordeal. Plus, BR and JCrew rip you off big time. The only thing that helps is I work in a low key setting. Wonderin if those coporate lawyer-like folks have jazzier outfits.

...seriously, um, i think i'm going to just incorporate one new shirt and one new pair of pants. seems less overwhelming.

Anonymous said...

oh, i forgot to identify myself above...

chanchow said...

Generally, the office garb in my neck of the woods is your basic biz casual. Slacks, top, cardigan. I will be set for the foreseeable future if I can find three more pairs of pants. Charcoal, beige and maybe brown. Perhaps I should find a skirt or two just to liven things up. I could also use another suit (a brown one).

J. Crew and BR are total rip offs, I agree. Ann Taylor is cheaper, but most of their pants are unlined, which I don't like so much. TJ Maxx or Marshalls is a good alternative. We have them here in LA, but I haven't been to one in a while. Maybe it's time to revisit.

Of course, all this means that I will have to buy new shoes, which I don't mind at all. ;)

Octopus Grigori said...

ahem . . . *cough* *Girltalk* *cough*

Anonymous said...

I'm in the exact same boat: 3 pairs of pants,1 skirt & 5 tops that I mix & match the hell out of. Gained some weight in the past year, so I'd much rather wear my threadbare "uniforms" and not face a dressing room anytime soon.

Anonymous said...

i wear the same pants (jeans) to work all the time. and frenchie always wears the same 2 pair of jeans! i hate buying pants, it's so hard to get a good fitting pair.

chanchow said...

Wow. I'm really glad I blogged about this. It's nice to know I'm not alone.